Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Act
Special Education Services & Supports Director:
Pam McKinnon, Ed.D
Section 504 Compliance Coordinator:
Amy Yacobacci, Ed.S.
The Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Act allows the parent/guardian of a student eligible for accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to choose for their student to attend:
- Another public school within the resident school system which has available space and which has a program with the services agreed to in the student's existing Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 Plan. If accepted, the parent will be required to provide transportation to/from the school.
- Another public school outside of the student's resident school system. A school system reviewing a transfer request to its school system from another school system may deny a request for any reason, even if there is space and the special education program is available at the requested public school. If accepted, the parent will be required to provide transportation to/from the school.
- One of the state schools for the deaf and blind operated by the State Board of Education, if appropriate for the student's needs.
- A participating private school utilizing a scholarship from the State Department of Education.
The application window for the 2021-2022 school year will be from August 6th through 17th. The application must be completed online via the Glynn County School System Section 504 or Special Education webpage. Any student found eligible after this time may apply during the Glynn County School System's December or Summer Intradistrict Transfer (IDT) windows for the 2022-2023 school year.
Click HERE to complete and submit an application.
- Systems are now required to provide annual notice regarding these choices to parents of eligible students. This is why a letter was mailed home in August of 2021, prior to the first day of school.
- If parents are NOT interested in any of these options, no action needs to be taken.
- Not all students eligible for Section 504 will meet the Georgia Department of Education's criteria. Click here to review eligibility information and access the Section 504 Plan Verification Form.
- The Georgia Department of Education form "Section 504 Plan Qualification for Participation" must be submitted to the District's Section 504 Compliance Coordinator for verification.
- Students with IEPs meet criteria for GSNS regardless of the category for which they are eligible.
- The acceptance of a scholarship to attend a private school shall have the same effect as a parental refusal to consent to services pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and a parental waiver of rights to educational accommodations under Section 504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- Approval of a local student to enroll in another school within the GCSS under option number one may impact the student's eligibility for high school athletics for one calendar year.
- Parents will be required to provide transportation to and from school if approved to attend another school out of zone under option numbers one and two.
- Out-of-county tuition will still be required for any nonresident student accepted to enroll in a Glynn County School. The GSNS does not provide a monetary scholarship to offset this cost.
For additional information about this legislation, please visit the Georgia Department of Education's webpage.