Private & Home Schools
Requests for Special Education Evaluations for Private and Home School Students
Amy Yacobacci, Intervention Coordinator
Glynn County Board of Education
1313 Egmont Street
Email: [email protected]
Office: 912-267-4100 ext. 1310
160-4-7-.03 Child Find Procedures
(a) Each LEA must have in effect policies and procedures to ensure that all suspected children with disabilities, including those who are homeless, wards of the state or are attending private schools, regardless of the severity of their disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located, and evaluated.
If the child is under 5 years old OR currently enrolled in a Pre-K program, the parent will need to call the Leaps & Bound Office at 912-267-4229 ext. 4091 to request a DIAL screening.
The Student Support Team (SST) Request Packet may be downloaded from the link below.
Once all documentation in the packet has been received by the Intervention Coordinator, the following will occur:
- Parent will be contacted regarding hearing/vision screenings. Parents may schedule an appointment with the nurse at their child’s zoned public school at no cost or have them completed privately.
- Once passing V/H screening results have been received, other screening assessments and/or classroom observations will be scheduled.
- An SST meeting will be scheduled at the private school.
The School Psychologist and/or Speech/Language Pathologist (SLP) will attend and review the screening results with the parents and teachers.
- If the SST determines that further evaluation is necessary, then a referral for a special education evaluation will be completed.
- If speech/language interventions are recommended, then additional meetings will be scheduled by the SLP to review progress monitoring data prior to referring the student for further evaluation.
- If referred for a special education evaluation, an eligibility meeting will be scheduled to review the results and determine eligibility for special education services.
- For eligible home and/or private school students who do not wish to enroll in our public school system, special education services may be provided through a Service Plan (SP). Some or all types of special education services may be provided to eligible students as determined annually after a timely and meaningful consultation process with community stakeholders. The public school system representatives at the SP meeting will be able to communicate services offered.