Parents » Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment

What is the Dual Enrollment Program?

Dual Enrollment, formerly Move On When Ready (MOWR), is Georgia’s dual enrollment program that allows high school students (9th-12th grade) to earn college credit while working on their high school diploma. The Dual Enrollment program covers tuition, mandatory fees and required textbooks. The goal of Dual Enrollment is to increase college access and completion, and prepare students to enter the workforce with the skills they need to succeed.

What are the benefits for a student participating in the Dual Enrollment Program?

There are several benefits for students who participate in Dual Enrollment.

  • Introduces students to college-level coursework.
  • Earning college credits while still in high school may enable students to graduate early and/or possibly even earn an associate degree or certificate.
  • Helps students adjust to certain aspects of the college experience (e.g., classes, coursework, instruction, being on a college campus) so the transition from high school to college may be easier.
  • Students who participate in a dual enrollment program are more likely to go to college and get a college degree.
  • Students may be able to take classes that are not offered at their high school, especially in subject areas they are interested in for a potential career.
  • Participating in a dual enrollment program demonstrates a student’s ability to handle more difficult coursework which is something college admissions officers may look upon favorably during admissions and recruiting.
  • Taking college-level classes while still in high school may build confidence and encourage those students who may not be thinking about college to reconsider.

Who is eligible to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

All high school students (9th – 12th grade) attending a public or private high school in Georgia or home study program operated in accordance with O.C.G.A. 20-2-690(c) can participate in the Dual Enrollment Program.

Students should begin receiving program information and materials in 8th grade in preparation for high school. Public high schools are required to provide Dual Enrollment program information and materials to each 8th grade student when the student is developing his or her individual graduation plan.

How do eligible high schools and postsecondary institutions participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

Each eligible high school (public, private or home study program) must execute a Dual Enrollment Participation Agreement as provided by the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) in order to participate in the program.

  • High schools may choose to participate by completing the Dual Enrollment Four-Year High School Participation Agreement.
  • Eligible home study students may choose to participate in Dual Enrollment by their parent completing the Dual Enrollment Annual Home Study Program Participation Agreement.
  • Eligible postsecondary institutions may choose to participate in Dual Enrollment by completing the Postsecondary Institution Program Participation Agreement for State Programs.

How do students participate in Dual Enrollment?

To participate in Dual Enrollment, students sign an advisement form with their high school or home study program, meet the admissions requirements at the postsecondary institution of their choice and make satisfactory academic progress.

Interested students should see their high school counselor and visit for program information and the Dual Enrollment funding application.

What classes/courses will be available to students?

Approved courses for Dual Enrollment are listed in the Dual Enrollment Approved Course Directory. Approved classes may include degree level or non-degree level courses in the five main academic areas (English, math, science, social studies and foreign language), as well as electives, career, technical and agricultural offerings.

The courses a student chooses each term must be listed on his or her Dual Enrollment funding application and must be approved by his or her high school and the postsecondary institution he or she will be attending.

Can a student pursue his/her high school diploma and a postsecondary degree or certificate at the same time?

Yes, through the High School Postsecondary Graduation Opportunity, in accordance with O.C.G.A. §20-2-149.2, while in high school, eligible students may choose to pursue a postsecondary degree, diploma or certificate. Students should speak with their high school counselor to explore the options associated with this opportunity.

Eligible high school students may choose to pursue their high school diploma by:

  1. Completing required courses as listed on the GADOE High School Required Course List, including two English, two math, two science, and two social studies courses, the associated end of course tests for each, and one health and physical education course (courses that would normally be taken during the 9th and 10th grade year); and,
  2. Enrolling at an eligible participating postsecondary institution and earning one of the following: associate degree; technical diploma; or two certificates in one specific career pathway, all postsecondary academic education, technical education and training prerequisites for any state, national, or industry occupational certifications or licenses required to work in the field as determined by the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG).

Are online courses available to students participating in Dual Enrollment?

Yes, Dual Enrollment students can enroll in online courses if the course is on the approved Dual Enrollment Course Directory. Students should carefully consider whether an online course is a good fit for them before enrolling.

Will students have to take an End of Course (EOC) assessment for a class they complete through Dual Enrollment?

Yes, public school students participating in Dual Enrollment are required to take all appropriate EOCs. Students who are home schooled or attend a private school are not required to take EOCs.

Check with your high school counselor for EOC requirements.

When will Dual Enrollment be offered?

Students may participate in Dual Enrollment for all terms.

  • Fall, spring and summer semesters
  • Fall, winter, spring and summer quarters

Check with the postsecondary institution for deadlines for each term, semester or quarter.

How does a student apply to participate in Dual Enrollment?

Students attending an eligible public or private high school must complete the Dual Enrollment online funding application which can be found on

Home study students must complete the Dual Enrollment paper funding application which can be printed from

The application has three parts:

  • Students and parents complete Part I
  • High school counselors or home study instructors complete Part II
  • Postsecondary institutions complete Part III

All three sections of the application must be completed and submitted to GSFC:

Email: [email protected]
Fax: 770.724.9249
Mail:   Georgia Student Finance Commission
          Attention: Student Aid Services
          2082 East Exchange Place
          Tucker, GA 30084

What are the deadlines to submit the application?

High schools and postsecondary institutions may set institutional deadlines for participation. Check with your high school and postsecondary institution for deadlines for each term, semester or quarter. The student, high school/home study program or parent and the postsecondary institution must complete the Dual Enrollment funding application and submit it to GSFC by the last day of the postsecondary term, semester or quarter, or the student’s withdrawal date, whichever occurs first.

Can a Dual Enrollment student attend more than one postsecondary institution in one term?

Yes, a Dual Enrollment student may take courses at more than one postsecondary institution. The Dual Enrollment funding application must be completed for each participating Eligible Postsecondary Institution. The student is eligible to receive Dual Enrollment funds for Tuition, mandatory fess and book allowance at each participating Eligible Postsecondary Institution.

Is there a limit to the number of credit hours a student may enroll during one term?

While a student’s Dual Enrollment eligibility is not limited to a specific number of hours, the high school must complete an additional approval process for students applying for more than 24 credit hours in one term.

What expenses does the Dual Enrollment program cover for eligible participants?

Students who meet all eligibility requirements will receive a student-specific award amount to be applied to tuition, mandatory fees and books. The postsecondary institution cannot charge the student any additional tuition or mandatory fee costs for approved Dual Enrollment courses. The postsecondary institution must provide the required textbooks for the approved Dual Enrollment courses. The postsecondary institution determines how the books are provided to the Dual Enrollment student.

The aid is paid to the postsecondary institution. The award chart for Dual Enrollment can be found on

What expenses are not covered by the Dual Enrollment program?

Students may incur expenses for course related fees and supplies required for a particular course or optional fee charged by the postsecondary institution. If the postsecondary institution provided the textbooks through a lending program, the student may be charged a lost or damaged book fee if the book is not returned in the required condition.

The student is responsible for tuition and fees for any course taken that is not on the Dual Enrollment Approved Course Directory and the student’s Dual Enrollment funding application.

Can Dual Enrollment credit be used to determine HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility?

No, according to the Program regulations, college credit hours taken as dual credit enrollment are not counted as attempted hours nor are they included in the combined paid hours limit for purposes of HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility. The hours are not included in a student’s postsecondary HOPE GPA.

Are Dual Enrollment hours included in the eligibility determination for the HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship?

High school credit will be given for degree-level core courses taken as a Dual Enrollment student and is included in determining a student’s high school HOPE GPA. The Dual Enrollment coursework cannot be used to gain HOPE Scholarship eligibility while in high school or to determine HOPE Scholarship eligibility for non-HOPE scholars.


For general information about these programs, contact:

Linell A. Bailey, Dual Enrollment Advisor
College of Coastal Georgia
One College Drive
Brunswick, GA 31520
(912) 279-4547
[email protected]

Shannon Riggins, Dual Enrollment Counselor
Coastal Pines Technical College
3700 Glynco Pkwy
Brunswick, GA 31525
(912) 262-9932
[email protected]