Student Services » Intradistrict Transfer

Intradistrict Transfer

Thank you for your interest in Glynn County Schools' School Choice program (Intradistrict Transfer)

Georgia’s Intradistrict Transfer (O.C.G.A. §20-2-2130, O.C.G.A. §20-2-2131) option allows parents of students enrolled in a public elementary or secondary school in Georgia to elect to enroll their student in a public school that is located within the school district in which the student resides other than the one to which the student has been assigned by the local board of education if such school has classroom space available after its assigned students have been enrolled.  The parent shall assume the responsibility and cost of transportation of the student to and from the school.  Each local school district establishes its own process (available to all students) to implement the transfer requirements of Georgia’s Intradistrict Transfer option. Please see the annual notification documentation below.

House Bill 251 Public School Choice Framework

Annual Choice Notification

Glynn County Schools

2023-2024 School Year


TO:                              Parents of Glynn County Students

DATE:                         December 6, 2022

FROM:                        Student Services

SUBJECT:                   Public School Choice for 2023-2024


Dear Parents or Guardians:

As a parent or guardian of a student currently enrolled in the Glynn County School District, we are notifying you of two laws that allow parents of public school students in Georgia the opportunity to enroll their child(ren) in schools within the local school district in which they reside that may be outside of their geographic zone.  House Bill 251 (HB 251), a law signed by Governor Perdue in 2009 allows parents of public school students in Georgia the opportunity to enroll their child(ren) in designated schools within the local school district in which they reside. The Georgia Special Needs Scholarship applies to eligible students with disabilities under IDEA and Section 504. Requests for transfers must be submitted to the school district office through this online application.


As a parent or guardian, you can request to have your child transferred to another public school within the school district as long as the district has determined that there is available classroom space at the school you requested.  If you choose to transfer your child to another school in the district, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school.  Under HB 251, a student may be returned to his/her zoned school for excessive absenteeism, tardiness, academic failure, or behavior problems that may occur.


If a parent requests a transfer to a school that does not have the services required by the current Individualized Education Plan (IEP), neither HB 251 nor the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship requires the school to develop those services as long as they are available within the school system.


Once students have approval for a transfer, they will be eligible to complete the highest grade level at the school to which they transfer; however, transferring students who complete the highest grade level at the school do not automatically receive enrollment preference to the feeder school.


Students transferring under both laws shall be subject to the eligibility requirements of the Georgia High School Association (GHSA). Please contact the Glynn County Athletic Director for further information.


IDT applications were accepted from December 6, 2022, through January 20, 2023.  Decision notification letters were parents on February 10, 2023. 


If a particular school or grade level has available space at the end of the 2022-2023 school year, another opportunity may be offered in June 2023. Only those schools with availability will be advertised during the second IDT window. 


Please see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for 2023-2024 below. Many questions can be answered in this document; however, if additional information is needed, please contact Student Services at the Glynn County Board of Education, 912-267-4100.